Skip to main content

Tweet Cred

On March 19th I tweeted this tweet. It was a pretty bold claim, I admit.  So I am going to take the opportunity to back it up through a series of blog posts.

Get yours today!
I claim that the book, By Faith, Not By Sight may be the best theological-pastoral-practical-pastoral counseling book I have ever read. I am saying this book and its subject matter has implications in all of these facets in ways I have not found (or can't remember) in any other book I've read.  To be sure, there may be better theological books out there, better pastoral books, better books that are more accessible practically, etc. But Dr. Gaffin's work is multi-faceted in its implications for all of these areas in ways I haven't seen before. My goal in this series of blog posts is to make my way through the book and highlight these implications.

But first, maybe some definitions would help.

Theological-This is a study of the Apostle Paul's view of the theology of salvation, or his soteriology.

Pastoral-How is one saved? How does one "stay" saved? How can one have assurance of salvation? What is the relationship between works and the gospel message; sanctification and justification?  How you answer these questions effect how you will lead, pastor and shepherd the people in the church you serve.

Practical-The answers to the previous questions will inform how a pastor preaches, prays and pursues his call. And the answers to the previous questions (and there are many, many more questions that could be asked) will effect every single Christian's walk; the root of their joy, their walk of repentance; their fight against their flesh, the world and the devil. Again, I hope to tease this out as we move forward.

Pastoral Counseling-I admit that I may be making a distinction with little difference between pastoral and pastoral counseling. Please grant me some license here as the distinction I am making is born out of my experience as a pastor. When I think pastorally I am thinking in terms of the gathered people of the church; ministry to the many. When I think in a pastoral counseling sort of way, I am thinking in a personal, individual, face-to-face formal counseling ministry; bringing the gospel to bear on a particular person or a couple or a family who has asked me to serve them as they struggle. So the implications I will draw out here will carry with them, I hope, an immediate address to a specific issue. And in some cases, a principle drawn from the book (or, more properly, Paul's theology of salvation faithfully presented in the book) that will inform a formal pastoral counseling posture.

So that is the primary goal; to draw out the implications of Dr. Gaffin's work with these four areas in the cross-hairs. I will also include the following goals in my posts:
  • I plan to be brief in each post. I will not cover a chapter per post (the book has four chapters that are relatively long, cover a whole lot of ground and can be fairly complex). My goal of being brief is also based on my personal preference. If I look at a blog post and it will require a lot of scrolling, I will either skip it, save it for later or print it out. I am under no illusions that what I post will be worth saving or printing, so I hope to be brief so that those who are interested can read it quickly. (Just as an example, this present post is most probably longer than the future posts I will post.)  
  • I will not hit on the implications for each area in each post. Sometimes I will, but not every time.
  • I hope to be consistent in posting, not waiting months between posts.
So there you go. If I am going to tweet such a claim, (and commend a book to you) I want to be prepared to back it up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting the Most from Reading your Bible

 The start of the new year often means the start of a new Bible reading plan. For most of us, we start strong, fight through the "descendants" and difficult names. The familiarity of Exodus (thanks to  Cecil B. DeMille ) puts some winds in our reading sails.  Then we hit the rough waters of Leviticus. You get the idea... God reveals Himself to us in His Word. We want to see Him in His Triune glory there. Fighting against the difficulty of reading regularly, consistently, and prayerfully is one of the most important battles we face every day that God gives us.  Below, I am recommending three resources that may help you, not just stick with your Bible reading, but love God's Word more, even the difficult parts. My prayer is that one or two or all three of these resources will help you fight and win the battle so you can consistently read God's Word and God will consistently bless you through your personal Bible reading.  This is not a countdown, from best to least best.

A Wonderfully Diverse Uniformity

We ordained and installed 5 new officers at Grace Community Presbyterian Church on December 15, 2019. It has been my privilege to work with and walk alongside these 5 guys for almost a year, as our process in training and study is that long. We've done this five times now, in our relatively young and small church. Every time I am stunned by God's kindness in giving us men, gifted men, who are willing to shoulder the burden of ordained office. This time, something hit me for the first time. Among our officers, we have teachers, a school administrator, a pilot, a lawyer, a man involved in the insurance industry, a COO and CEO of a health provider in our area, a man who is supplier to car mechanics, an IT man for an oil company, an IT man for a multi-million dollar corporation, an artist and sign-maker, a man who does something with bonds, working with markets all over the world, a man who works in the construction industry, and a rules and regulations guy for BNSF Railr

Suffering--Book Brief

Paul Tripp is a faithful counselor and has served me and many of you through his conferences, books, video series, newsletters and booklets. He has written on the transition to middle age, love, sex, and money, raising teens and many other subjects.  If you are not familiar with him or his writing, I highly recommend him. His latest book, Suffering , is the best thing he has written. There are multiple contact points any reader will have with this book because suffering is universal. We all experience it. We can’t escape it. Tripp, through his decade's long association with the Christian Counseling and Education Foundation (CCEF) has counseled hundreds of sufferers. You will hear many of their stories in this book. More importantly, you will hear how a skilled biblical counselor helps the sufferer frame her experience in such a way that the truths of the Bible connect to the experience of the sufferer. The chapters “The Awareness Trap”, The Fear Trap”, “The En